Rock on Design

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

No, You're Never Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll if You're Too Young to Die

This past weekend I had the opportunity to help host a retreat for a group of around 250 high school youth. Back in my day I went on this retreat all 4 years of high school, and then went back many times to help host the event for youth in later years. This past weekend was my 13th trip up to the retreat center, and I have never felt so old.

I don’t know what it was about this particular time up there, but I just felt like I was WAAAY out of my league. While I was nowhere near the oldest of the adult leaders, I still felt like maybe my time at the retreat center was coming to an end. Sure there are plenty of other people that could play music up at this retreat, but I have done it with my brother Joe so many years that it has become a tradition.

It seems that one of the reasons I seem to be burning out has to do with my leadership responsibilities. In the past I have had to take care of some rather rowdy boys. (This year was no different.) But when the dust settled this time I really was happy I got to know those guys and I hope that they each got something out of the weekend that they can take home with them.

So I guess in the end, I don’t know if I am going to go back, but I do know that I really am proud of that group of rowdy guys… and that is probably what is most important.


(Heading Lyrics - Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young to Die, by Jethro Tull)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home