Rock on Design

Monday, April 10, 2006

Working for the Man Every Night and Day

A recent conversation I had with a friend of mine really got me thinking about a job verses a career. Since not many people know her situation however, I will catch you up to speed.

One of my coworkers is really frustrated at work. She is looking for a new job and on top of all that she has been having perpetual relationship problems for going on 9 months now. I have spoken and listened to her during MANY (too numerous to count) lunch breaks, and I am quite certain that I found a solution that would best help her out. I suggested that she dump the guy she is seeing, quit her job and find a job in the career field of Event Planning. You see she is very good at juggling various tasks and I really feel that she would enjoy seeing a conference, party or event come together.

As great as this line of work would be for her, she has one major stumbling block. For some reason she believes that her personal life is so important to her that her work life need to fit a cookie cutter 9 to 5. Now, I will be the first to admit that my personal life and family are VERY important to me. However, I have to spend at least 40 hours a week at work every week for the next 30 years so I don’t want to hate my job so much that it ruins my life. So there is the problem:

She doesn’t want her job to define her life. I have news for you sister… it already does. Whether you are a Pastor, a Computer Programmer, a Teacher, a Graphic Designer, a Fire Fighter or even a stay at home mom… YOU ARE BEING LABLED! If you hate your job and are unable to get up in the morning at the thought of going to work, then you are in the wrong line of work.

So, why did I find a career path I enjoy? Because my parents did the same, my father has been an auctioneer for 27 years now and I know it is something he truly loves. My mom was a teacher at a private school (not exactly a high income field) and now teaches parenting. I grew up working for them and helping my family, but the most important lesson they passed to me was to enjoy my career. Your job effects EVERY area of your life, make it count.

So, as you consider whether or not to include a cover sheet on your TPS report, take time to consider what your really want to do with the next 30 or so odd years of your working life.

(Headng lyrics – Proud Mary by CCR - sorry for the mistake the first time around.)

2 Comments:

  • I believe the song was originally done by Creedence Clearwater Revival.:) And you know my response to this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 PM  

  • yeah, ccr does deserve some serious dap here. about the whole career thing, you're right, mr. imholte. sometimes i think no one actually has a career. just a string of similar jobs. when you retire or die, that's when people can say that you had a career. me, i don't plan on retiring. ever. i'd be designing everyday anyway, so i might as well get paid for it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home