Rock on Design

Friday, December 30, 2005

So This is the New Year

Since I haven’t written in awhile I thought I would take the chance to comment on the upcoming holiday, New Years. I guess I really was wondering why this holiday was such a big deal (so much that it warrants a day off work, not that I’m complaining.) I really don’t think that it has as much to do with New Year resolutions, especially since most people fail at them. I did find an interesting bit of information that relates resolutions to one of my favorite church holidays… lent… on Wikipedia. (I hope you can sense me sarcasim.)

“More socio-centric examples include resolutions to donate to the poor more often, to become more assertive, or to become more economically or environmentally responsible. People may act similarly during the Christian fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind that holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility.”

I guess as I think about it, I really think that the New Year is celebrated with out us feeling older. So many people don’t want to grow old so their birthdays come with a black mark of shame. At least with the New Year we are all in it together… and I think it is an unspoken rule that you can’t really talk about how old everyone is getting.
(Heading lyrics – The New Year, by Death Cab for Cutie)

3 Comments:

  • lent... It does seem rather, well, pointless. I wonder (though not enough to try and find out) why and when it came into existence.

    By Blogger josh, at 2:27 PM  

  • you should blog more.

    By Blogger Stuen, at 7:41 PM  

  • I agree.
    Blog more...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home