Rock on Design

Monday, December 19, 2005

We Are, We Are, the Youth of the Nation

Ah youth…

This past weekend I went back to Stout (my Alma Mater) to visit friends and take in the Graphic Design Senior show. On a whole I had a great time, but something really caught me as I navigated my way through all of the pieces on display… “What happened to my youth?”

There most likely have been a number of contributing factors, but I am not as young as I used to be. To be completely honest this doesn’t bother me nearly as much as my loss of optimism. It seems that between living on my own paying bills and working in the real world I have pretty much lost most of the excitement that I had as a graduating student of Graphic Design. Don’t get me wrong I do LOVE doing graphic design, how ever as I looked around at the fresh class of graduates I couldn’t help but notice how each of them were ready to take the world by storm. Maybe this will lead them to great things, but in my case that optimism was lost when it took me 15 months to find a job. Yep it’s hard to change the world of design when no one sees your work.

I guess this really has turned into a depressing entry, for that I apologize. I must admit that I am happy to have a job in which I use my graphic design skills. For that I am VERY thankful. I guess I just hope that I haven’t lost all of the optimism I once had for this exciting profession.

(Heading lyrics – Youth of the Nation by POD)

5 Comments:

  • ahhh yes. The optimism does so often seem to be replaced by realism as age comes on. Not that I really know, because I can't remember being optimistic, but it SEEMS like that kind of things happens.

    By Blogger josh, at 3:52 PM  

  • lol...
    Yeah I must say that you have never really portrayed the emotion of optimism in my knowledge of you life. I specifically remember one hilarious night on retreat. (For those of you who weren't there, 2 girls had come up to our cabin and asked to see 2 guys from our group. After the girls left your quote was classic. I believe the exact quote was "I hate those guys" (man I still laugh when thinking of you... I think I was in tears that night.)

    Good times... Good times

    By Blogger Andy, at 10:31 AM  

  • lol, that was rather funny. another thing i'd like to note is that josh is really only half way in the real world thing being that he never has to leave home for work.

    By Blogger Stuen, at 10:18 AM  

  • considering that i plan to begin working from my home sometime in the next 2 months, I will object to the " not the real world" classification!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM  

  • really? doing what? private designer? D-Son PD

    By Blogger Stuen, at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home