Rock on Design

Monday, August 08, 2005

You Should See that the Wizard Needs Food

Note: The title of this entry were the only lyrics referring to a wizard that I could think of.

Well since a friend of mine mentioned that he was starting to read the most recent Harry Potter book, I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. (And because HE complained that I have not linked him. Which is not entirely true based on the fact that he has a full time link over in my “links” section.)

Anyway… back to the topic at hand, Harry Potter. I have had the opportunity to read the first 5 books in the series a couple of times. I was excited for the release of the sixth and happily purchased it the first weekend it hit the shelves. I have had some growing concern at the direction this series has been heading with each volume becoming darker. I must confess that I am slightly concerned about the fact that J.K. Rowling is not only a non-Christian, but that she has fueled a rising interest in the Occult for many young people. I was very concerned in the 4th book when one of the kids in the book was killed by a magic spell, and later in the fifth book when Harry seemed to be continually raging and hateful. I understand the underlying darkness that is present in this series, but rarely have so many children and parents alike embraced a book with such dark themes.

The main reason I have not written these books off are the fact that they inspired my 2 youngest brothers to get into reading. One of my brothers was a year behind in English for a number of years and after reading the Harry Potter series he began to read loads of books and eventually caught up to his piers. He is even authoring his own stories as well. So I have seen some amazing benefits from this series.

With all that said, I did enjoy this chapter in the life of Harry Potter. Harry is able to find some type of happiness that keeps him from being as angry as he was in the fifth volume. On a whole, I was happy with the read. (I don’t want to say anymore since there are those who have not yet finished reading Rowling’s latest offering.)

(Heading lyrics - Wizard Needs Food, Badly by Five Iron Frenzy)

2 Comments:

  • They're well written and entertaining, but I'm not sure how old my hypothetical kids would have to be before I'd let them read the books. I'll let my hypothetical kids read the Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings long before Harry Potter.

    By Blogger josh, at 6:06 PM  

  • i agree with the huhmann. good reads but not for the younger kids...

    By Blogger Stuen, at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home